How To: Soft Cookies

Hi everyone! 

In Slovakia you can only buy cookies that are kind of dry and hard. The only 'real' American cookies we have are the ones in McDonald's. Ever since I found out cookies are actually meant to be soft and chewy, I began searching for them. And because I wasn't able to find them anywhere near me, I started looking for recipes to do them myself.




I trust cooking way more than I trust baking, that's how it's always been with me. I find cooking as a way of expressing yourself and baking as mostly following instructions as it's easier to mess up if you skip a step or two. That's why it's not simple to trust baking recipes on the Internet that don't include any pictures.


My favourite way of learning new recipes is through Youtube videos. I found this recipe through Tanya Burr and immediately wanted to give it a try. This was my third time making them, so I adjusted it to myself a little as well.


I was going to a party with friends, so I was making the portion three times bigger, so keep that in mind when you look at the pictures, ha-ha! But I will write down the original recipe.





Ingredients:

200g of butter
1 egg, little bit of milk
200g of chocolate
325g of self-rising flour
300g of caster sugar


Few helpful tips:

How to make the self-rising flour

mix 325g of plain flour + 3tbsp of baking powder + teaspoon of salt

How to make caster sugar

put hard grain sugar into a processor and blend for 2 minutes.

How to:


Heat the oven for 200°C.

Whisk the butter and sugar together.


Whisk in the egg.


Add the mixture into a flour. (It'd probably be better to add it in gradually so it's easier to put together).


If the mixture doesn't come together, just add a dash of milk.

The dough should look something like this:


Now it's time to add the chocolate that obviously needs to be chopped into small pieces.


Lastly, form the cookies by rolling a little bit of a dough in your hands. Make them smaller, because trust me, they will melt and become at least twice as big in the oven.


Remember not to bake them for longer than 10 minutes, even if they don't look done yet. After baking, let them cool down before touching them, that's also very important.

At the end they should look like this:




Happy baking!
Love,
Bonnie.xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts